Thursday 3 June 2010

They made us wait but finally it's happened!

Despite the fact that Vicki's treatment finished in February, it has taken until last Friday for Vicki's Hickman line to be removed. I cannot stress how big a deal this is; it's a significant milestone in her recovery and will now allow her to have a near normal life again.

Vicki continues to progress well, and is gaining in strength all the time. She still needs regular venesections to reduce the iron levels in her blood, but the levels are coming down well. Her immune system is gaining in strength too, and whilst we're some way off normal levels, the improvement is significant.

Vicki's in the middle of her GCSEs at the moment, a stage in her life I thought we might not reach 8 months ago. I can't get my head round the turn around in her life sometimes. It's quite miraculous that she's able to aim for 7 GCSEs at all, so well done her for not letting her education slip too much.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this was like reading back on my own journey. I got diagnosed with AML in February and recently finished my treatment and had my Hickman Line removed!
    It was great reading your blog as you feel like the only person thats gone through it, and it's nice to read about other peoples journeys :) I also wrote a blog through my treatment!
    Well done on making it through Vicki!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carla, I can assure you that you are not alone! Well done on the Line removal, nice milestone.
    Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete