Sunday 13 December 2009

A bit of a reality check

Vicki seemed a little low yesterday. You'd think the bonus of a few extra days at home would make her happy, wouldn't you? The root of the problem is that no-one seemed willing to make the effort to spend some time with her. All she wanted to do was go shopping with her friends. I'd said to her that I was quite happy to take her and her friends to Milton Keynes, where she could shop or go to the cinema while Debbie and I did some seasonal shopping.

Now given that Vicki spends most of her time in hospital, and has little time at home, I would have thought that they would be willing to rearrange their plans to accommodate her. I mean, they have the freedom do whatever they want, whenever they want, Vicki does not have that luxury. This left me a little flabbergasted to tell you the truth. Everyone seems so wrapped up in the their own little worlds that making the effort to see a sick friend must be all too much. This is sad. Vicki's illness is very restrictive and she often has periods of feeling quite low, and we all need to work to pick her up, and make her feel positive, so I feel her friends have all let her down. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, teenagers today are fairly egocentric, and there are many things to draw their attention away. A sad reflection of today's society.

No comments:

Post a Comment