Sunday 25 October 2009

The focus changes

Vicki's improvement continues. Given the incentive of a home visit, she's been able to wean herself off of the intravenous feed that she's been dependent on for the last 3 weeks. Initially she tried fortified milkshakes, but these just made her sick. But her determination, perseverance, coupled with mine and Tracey's encouragement (which I'm sure Vicki thinks borders on bullying) has achieved what I didn't think possible only a short while ago.

Yesterday one meal. Today, at the time of writing, Vicki has had both breakfast and lunch. Much to our surprise she's now been taken off all her drips, so she's got a lot more freedom. The defeat of the infection means that she can now leave the ward and sample the world beyond. I'm sure she thought it didn't exist anymore, as she's not seen outside the hospital for over 4 weeks.

To see her now is such a transformation, there is colour in her cheeks, and she's quite chatty, and sharing jokes with us all.

Next week is when it all happens. She is due to have a new Hickman line fitted, and she will have a bone marrow sample taken along with a lumbar puncture. The latter two will tell us how successful her treatment has been, and therefore the all important prognosis, so although I'm overjoyed with her progress, I'm minded not to get too carried away, we're not out of the woods yet.

Yesterday also gave rise to the realisation that Vicki is not my only child with problems. Very easy to forget when Vicki's problems are so severe. Samuel was due to stay at his Auntie's for half term, but sadly he had an anxiety attack when he got there, and I had to bring him home. A 280 mile, 7 hour round trip that I could really have done without, but, hey, c'est la vie. Just when I thought I could have a break from all the worry too! I must have been really bad in a previous life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment