Thursday 21 January 2010

The home straight?

The blog has been silent recently for reasons that I'm not going to expand upon on here. Suffice it to say that a degree of resolution or maybe acceptance has taken place. But in any case, you haven't missed much. Vicki has been 'home' for a little while, and is now embarking on, what we hope will be her final chemotherapy treatment. This is a short, high dosage treatment, which started on Tuesday, and will finish today.

So far this has been uneventful, lets hope that's how it continues. As is always the case, the recovery period will be much longer than the treatment, and we are expecting Vicki to be in hospital for at least 4 weeks.

I believe that we are through the worst, and the end can't come soon enough as the relentless surge of drugs, sleepless nights, and emotional tension has been taking it's toll. I spent a little time at work this week which provided me with a stark contrast to the life I've experienced over the last 4 months. On the one hand, I could see how much I missed the social interaction and routine of working life. But on the other hand, parking at work, yuck! I also realised that I'd lost any concept of time in the way that most of you take for granted. For example, the feeling of Friday's being great, and Monday's being dreadful. The feeling of half way through that you get on a Wednesday lunchtime. All days are the same to me, and when I have to readjust to a normal working routine I will have to spend some time acclimatising.

The tragedy in Haiti makes you realise that however bad you think things are, we're actually incredibly lucky to have the lives that we have. However, the stark reality is that however bad things are in the Caribbean, it's what's in front of you that really affects your life.

It's positive to hear Vicki talking about the future; Exams, college courses, normal stuff. That future will be peppered with fears about whether or not the Leukaemia has returned, or whether any of the carcinogenic side effects of the chemotherapy have raised the ugly head. But we must not live in the shadow of cancer, we must try to file these thoughts away and live life as normally as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment