Saturday 21 November 2009

Children in need?

I have to say, I was quite disappointed with CIN, and on two fronts. Firstly, I'm used to the hospital where I work, where the staff always do something for the children. Last year there was a pirate theme, and various celebs were trotted through, with numerous events to entertain, well, the children in need.

There was nothing on Vicki's ward, which was quite a surprise. Then the TV event itself. Aside from Peter Kay's excellent charity song and video, it all felt a bit jaded. The sketches all felt too short, and too contrived. There didn't seem to be enough material, as some of it was repeated. Perhaps it's me, perhaps I'm just too jaded. Perhaps I'm so close to the centre, seeing all this effort go into raising money, without seeing any spent on my daughter, is what makes me feel like this.

Perhaps because my son is causing World War III, this is not helping either. Either way, it's quite hard to get a positive vibe at the moment.

Vicki's quite tired, which is no surprise given her propensity for late nights recently, but also because her haemoglobin level is down. She going to have some platelets today, followed by a blood transfusion. Her consultant assures me that this is normal given the stage that we are at in her treatment. Overall she is still responding well, and is much brighter than she was following her initial chemotherapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment